BASAL GANGLIA, THALAMUS, CORTEX
- Identify the basal ganglia and associated tracts in brain specimens and micrographs.
- Describe the net effect of the direct and indirect pathways on the chronic inhibition of the thalamus.
- Describe how motor, association, and limbic areas of the cortex interact with the basal ganglia.
- Relate common symptoms seen in psychiatric patients suffering from schizophrenia to the control of cortical output through the basal ganglia.
- Relate side-effects of anti-dopaminergic and anti-cholinergic medications with the effect of these drugs on the circuitry through the basal ganglia.
- Describe the reciprocal relationship of the cortex with the thalamus and the tracts that project to the cortex.